Penny at Mile 0

Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 4: Amarillo, TX to Santa Fe, NM



Yesterday way spent getting through Oklahoma and into Amarillo, TX as fast as possible. Oklahoma was considerably more pleasant that Arkansas, mostly because there weren't nearly as many people on the road and we left at 6:30 am, which allowed us to escape most of the heat of the afternoon. There's not much more to say about yesterday. Rob didn't eat until 5pm, though before bed he ate a large chicken fried steak platter and an orange beef platter. I don't know how he still amazes me with his capacity to eat large amounts of mediocre southern food.

Today we leave Texas for Santa Fe, New Mexico and I couldn't be more thrilled. I don't know much about Santa Fe, but I know that it is not part of Middle America and when I order a salad it probably won't be mostly cheese and ranch dressing. We will be leaving route 40 in favor of smaller state roads, and we will be camping for two days in Santa Fe. Actually, we will be camping for the next 5 days, so postings may be sparse for a bit.

The last three days of driving all day on the same highway have taken their toll, and we are ready for some fresh air and some authentic Southwest experiences. Penny is bored and unfortunately on a hunger strike. She is ready to go home, but I don't have the heart to tell her that we don't have a home anymore. I hope she likes camping.

Over and Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment