Penny at Mile 0

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I'm in Arkansas.Wierd.


So, Memphis was hot. Real hot. Rendezvous ribs... not so much. Kind of a rip-off actually. I thought the beans and slaw were way tastier but then again, I am a recovering vegetarian. Beale Street looked like we would have really enjoyed it at night and after many drinks. After lunch we rushed out of town and crossed the mighty Mississippi into Arkansas.
I was reminded today how horrifying highways are. They're even scarier in Arkansas. There were way too many people and trucks going way too fast to get to FUCKING NOWHERE. It's Arkansas... where the hell are they all going as they drive 2 feet behind me because 10 over is apparently way too slow. I bitched and screamed like a little girl all the way across the state.
We made it to Fort Smith, on the border with Oklahoma (our next victim). My only comfort for our harrowing journey was listening to Grisman and Garcia's Not Just for Kids and watching the light show made by our little disco ball hanging from our rear view mirror. In fact that is pretty much the sole purpose of that mirror now because we can't see anything through it besides our obscene amount of stuff.
We had some excellent crayfish etouffe and seafood gumbo for dinner. Good thing our budget is really just a series of suggestions. Rob has created an amazing work of spreadsheet art, an all-encompassing budget complete with formulas and some very complex guess work. It's truly amazing, most of all because Rob made it. This is the same guy who two years ago in Mexico, when we were nearly broke and contemplating tattoos, had the sudden epiphany that "We can do what I've always done in this situation: overdraft."
That will not be happening on this trip. This time we are playing grown-up.
Oh and I am going blonde...wierd. I know.
Wish us luck through the fields of madness!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment